Having a well-groomed beard is essential for a man who wants to look his best. But, with all the beard products available, it’s hard to choose the right one. So, beard conditioners were designed to help achieve the perfect balance of conditioning and styling.
A beard conditioner is a leave-in treatment that helps to soften the hair, improve shine, and reduce frizz. Many conditioners also contain ingredients that help to hydrate the skin underneath the beard, which can help to prevent itchiness and flakes.
Our top beard conditioners were rated based on their ability to moisturize with no excess oil or side effects. We also looked at customer satisfaction, ingredients, longevity, and overall value.
While conditioners may include natural oils and washes, some shampoos are good for beard conditioning and healing. If you have problems with a dry skin beard, a high quality beard oil, beard balm or conditioner may be just the right fix. Check out our guide below for the best products and proper usage.
These beard care products are arranged in no certain order. Please scroll to the bottom to see our pick for the best beard conditioner.
We’ve reviewed this brand in the past and they’re known for their beard oils, shampoos, and conditioners. Polished Gentleman Beard Conditioner is all natural product with biotin and tea tree oil.
Their beard shampoo and conditioner duo is notably the best value on our list if you’re looking for an all-natural beard smoothing agent and itch relief.
- Designed to Help Stimulate Beard Growth for a thicker beard.
- Made with natural ingredients.
- Infused with Biotin and Tea Tree Oil.
- Stops itch and dandruff.
- Has a fresh manly scent.
- Also has Aloe Vera to Soothe Sensitive Skin.
We also found this duo adds more volume and thickness to your hair. Its formula includes tea tree oil, manuka honey, and argan oil. This leads to an incredibly soft and manageable beard.
In our experience, the best beard conditioners don’t have a fragrance, but we’re ready to change our minds with the Scotch Porter Beard Conditioner.
With an incredibly intoxicating scent and herbs like marshmallow root, Scotch Porter is the choice for many men who want to smooth and condition their beard hair.
- Fiercely moisturize and restore beard softness and strength.
- A leave-in beard conditioner to rehydrate and avoid dandruff.
- Strictly made Vegan
- Premium beard conditioner with no animal ingredients nor testing.
- Paraben-free, sulfate-free, phthalate-free, silicone-free, petrolatum-free, and contains no PEGs, mineral oil, nor synthetic colors.
- All-natural ingredients that are infused with biotin, a water-soluble B complex vitamin for enhanced delivery.
- Abyssinian oil with high erucic acid to seal in moisture to protect follicles from dehydration and frizz.
- Has white willow bark to fight hair damage and dryness while also fighting flakes and dandruff.
- Easy to use with just a small after beard washing.
- Has a manly scent with hints of floral and spice. Also has notes of sandalwood, carnation, warm oakmoss, musk, vanilla, cashmere and amber.
Honest Amish is a popular beard brand that’s highly rated by customers who have purchased their beard balms, shampoos, and soaps.
The Honest Amish Beard Conditioner and balm include argan oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, virgin pumpkin seed, and other essential oils. With a mild scent, you won’t feel like your beard is overpowering the room, even if you’re standing shoulder-to-shoulder with other people in an elevator.
- Hand made in the USA.
- Softens coarse beard hair.
- Stops beard itch & cuts beardruff.
- A highly respected brand.
We found this conditioner to be one of the best since you need little to soothe itch and add shine. While other conditioners may work better for softening hair, this product is a moisturizer that can heal dry skin instantly and style your beard perfectly.
Beard conditioners are made to penetrate hair follicles deeply, even more so than a beard oil. The Viking Revolution beard conditioner also includes everything you need, and it lasts for many months or years depending on how often you use it.
Rinse-out conditioners like this Viking Revolution Sandalwood Beard Conditioner are also better for those who have sensitive skin. This is because it doesn’t leave behind any residue, which can cause dry skin as the product builds up over time around the hair follicle.
- Supports healthy beard growth. Hydrates, Cleans, Softens and adds Shine.
- Reduces Itchy Irritated Skin and reduces Beard Dandruff.
- Deep clean and nourishing with a rich lather.
- Contains Natural Beard Oil for the Deepest Moisturization & Beard Growth.
- Viking Return Promise.
The best way to use this product is in the shower after a good beard wash. You should do this right away and let your conditioner sit in your hair for a few minutes. Before you get out, simply rinse out the conditioner to reveal a healthier beard.
The formula includes jojoba, argan, and apricot kernel oils like many others, but it also has hydrolyzed yeast protein, which can strengthen follicles and even prevent hair loss.
For those who want a 2-in-1 beard wash and conditioner, we recommend Bluebeards Extra Conditioning Beard Wash.
This beard wash contains amazing ingredients for extra conditioning, including natural aloe vera and citrus oils. However, there are some chemicals included such as propylene glycol that cause allergic reactions for some users.
This beard wash is cleansing and easy to use in the shower. You can rinse it out and reveal a clean, fresh-smelling beard. However, we’re not sure it’s as good as others on our list for daily use, softening, and untangling thicker beard hair.
- Cleans & softens unruly beards with gently moisturizers while boosting natural shine.
- Extreme conditioning is tough on dirt, flakes & odors using aloe plus other essential oils.
- Comes with beard shampoo to lather in the shower.
- Made In USA to the highest quality standards.
- Made Paraben-free, Animal Cruelty-Free & fully tested on real beards.
Infused by nature-derived ingredients, plus its non-comedogenic. The Clubman Pinaud is a 2-in-1 beard conditioner does a great job of controlling frizziness with its coconut oil, soy protein, and panthenol.
For issues with dry skin or slow beard growth, using this conditioner can nourish follicles and improve patches.
- It’s a 2-in-1 beard conditioner plus face moistutizer
- Can also be used as a Deep Conditioning Treatment and to replenish follicle moisture.
- Not made from Harmful Ingredients
- Helps control frizzy hair without added weight Down.
- Made with a unique blend of Coconut Oil, Soy Protein & Panthenol to help the skin while leaving the beard soft.
- Reduces the beard acne & pimples!
- Helps with beard detangling.
- Developed in Collaboration with Celebrity Barbers & Stylists.
You can apply this leave-in conditioner after a beard wash and shower. It’s best to apply this in the morning before styling your beard hair. With a scent that resembles an old school barber shop, it’s a very thick conditioner – best for full, thick or coarse beards.
Bossman Fortify Intense Beard Conditioner is one of the best products for deep cleaning and softening your beard hair.
With its advanced hydrating formula, your beard will look shinier than ever after just one use of this conditioner.
- Can be used in the shower.
- Unique blend of natural oils, including mango butter and betaine.
- Targets hair follicles and pores to create a healthier base for beards.
- Natural active ingredients: Mango Butter, Avocado Oil, Aloe Leaf, Jojoba Esters, and Argan Oil.
- Deep hydration.
- Safe products made in the USA and no animal testing.
- Royal Oud Scent with smooth cedarwood and bergamot undertones also with hints of lemon, clove, and pepper oils.
I also found my beard hair looked really good afterward, and it was easy to apply with this bottle design.
You may like a little scent to your beard conditioner, but the ZEUS Beard Conditioner is made for those who want the scent of sandalwood.
The ZEUS beard conditioner is perfect for those who want to moisturize their beard, get rid of frizz and tame unruly hair.
- Helps with dry, itchy or inflamed skin beneath the beard.
- Made with natural ingredients blended with Pro-Vitamin B5, Aloe Vera, Avocado Oil, Green Tea and Jojoba Oil.
- Made in the USA.
- Exceptional quality control.
If you have a tangled, thick beard, this works in seconds to make your beard more manageable. It’s also not that expensive and highly rated, so this works for many who have experienced agitation with other fragrant beard oils and conditioners.
The Grave Before Shave Beard Conditioner is a no nonsense leave-in that’s generously infused with argan oil.
- Gentle formula will clean and hydrate to reduce itchiness and dandruff.
- Fresh & Masculine Scent.
- Good for all hair and skin types.
- Removes daily build-up with a refreshing feeling.
- Made with argan oil.
- Classic barber shop scent.
It easily removes flakes, tames frizziness and doesn’t have an overwhelming smell. It has a classic barber shop scent, so it feels clean and refreshing.
We know beard conditioners can add too much moisture if you don’t wash your beard every day.
The ArtNaturals Deep Beard Conditioner includes jojoba, Moroccan argan oil, and vitamin E to enhance your beard and protect your follicles from inflammation.
- Specifically formulated for deep conditioning and styling of thick and wiry beard hair.
- Aloe Vera to moisturize beard and skin.
- Argan Oil to deep-clean pores.
- Jojoba Oil & Shea Butter to renew, replenish and revitalize beard hair.
- Quinoa Protein to thickens hair and boost shine.
- Licorice and Nettle Root Extracts to fight hair loss, promoting hair regrowth, and fill in patchy beard spots.
- Made with Premium-quality botanical ingredients.
- Paraben Free And Cruelty Free.
This product works best if you have beard itch and dry skin that causes flakes. With one use, we found ArtNaturals softens, conditions, and hydrates your beard.
When we review beard conditioners, we focus on how the product makes our beard feel in the short-term and long-term. Depending on your type of beard and skin combination, conditioners offer long-term benefits, including healthier, manageable beard hair.
While conditioning your beard may heal your skin and prevent itch, it may not be enough to help you grow hair any faster or thicker. Still, it’s a step forward if you have an itchy beard or brittle hair and want relief.
Do beards need special conditioner?
Beards need special conditioners because the skin underneath a beard is sensitive and can become dry, itchy, and irritated. A good beard conditioner will hydrate the skin and hair, as well as provide nutrients that promote healthy growth.
Can I Use Hair Conditioner on My Beard?
Yes, you can use hair conditioner on your beard! In fact, beard conditioners are very similar to the ones used for hair. They help to soften and tame the hair, making it easier to style.
Should I use beard conditioner everyday?
Most conditioners can be used daily, but if you have a particularly sensitive or dry scalp, you may want to use it every other day or even once a week. You should also take a break from using conditioner if you notice any irritation.
Is Beard Conditioner Necessary?
Beard conditioners are necessary to soothe and soften your hair while moisturizing your skin. If you don’t have any beard dandruff, dry skin, or brittle hair, then you may not see the point in conditioning. However, if you want facial hair to shine and remain strong, beard conditioners can improve the look of your beard.
For example, beards with frizzy, damaged hair benefit from conditioners as the cleansing agents soothe their follicles and skin underneath. This leaves hair shiny and sleek, and you can easily comb and style your beard to look your best.
Should I worry about beard conditioner ingredients?
Many men wash their beards just like their regular hair. While this may not be an issue with some hair shampoos and conditioners, other conditioners use chemical ingredients that won’t moisturize your skin.
Harsh chemicals may cause harsh reactions, including dry skin that itches.
If you have sensitive skin, beard conditioners are specially formulated to moisturize and help with skincare just as much as cleansing your beard hair. In addition, if you style your beard hair every morning, conditioners especially suited for your beard are better for daily use.
How often should I Condition my Beard?
Beard conditioner should be used every time you shower. To get the best results, leave the conditioner in for 3-5 minutes before rinsing.
This is best answered by considering your own skin combination. Some facial hair conditioners have ingredients like paraphenylenediamine (PPD) or sulfates. These can irritate your skin with use every day.
Washing your beard daily using 100% natural ingredients won’t irritate sensitive skin.
So, yes, you can use beard conditioners every day, but if you notice your skin has become dry from daily use, switch to a conditioner that soothes your skin and hair.
If you notice your skin is severely agitated after using a product, you could be allergic to the ingredients. It’s best to consult your doctor if you find your skin is breaking out in response to any creams or oils.
What’s the Best Beard Conditioner?
We have reviewed hundreds of products for beard conditioning. We find the best conditioner for beards tend to include argan oil, jojoba oil, and vitamin E.
Viking Revolution beard conditioner has the best ingredients and prevents inflammation, relieving beard itch and dry skin almost instantly. It’s also the only conditioner on this list that includes hydrolyzed yeast protein, which can thicken your hair and prevent hair loss.