Have you grown your beard and need to tame it? Beard combs are made specifically to tackle this task. If you don’t know what’s better for your beard or what type of beard comb works best, our guide gives you all these answers and reviews the 8 best beard combs available today.
The best beard combs are made from wood or stainless steel. They are much sturdier than synthetic compounds like cellulose acetate or plastic and typically have saw cut teeth. These types of combs provide a smoother experience and tame your beard effortlessly just after a few uses.
In this guide, we rate the best beard combs according to materials, type of teeth, price, and durability. We also provide you with answers to your top questions about combing your beard and whether it’s better than brushing.
Benefits of Beard Combing
As most guys with a beard will tell you, combing your beard is an essential part of their grooming routine. When combined with a good beard oil, you can improve the health of your facial hair and eliminate other issues, such as beard itch and patches.
Combing daily will:
- grow your beard healthier and faster
- train your beard to grow in the desired direction
- get your perfect look and style
- eliminate ingrown hairs
- stimulate natural oils within hair cuticles
- fix a patchy beard
Many men swear by combing a patchy beard every day to improve thickness and direct hair where to grow. While this may not work with shorter beards, it can help you if you have longer facial hair.
When used with the best beard oil, combs can effectively spread moisture and nutrients to each strand. This is probably the greatest benefit of combing your beard every day, especially if you want to achieve a well-groomed, tamed look.
Beard Brushing vs Beard Combing
There’s a huge debate between beard aficionados about the benefits of combing vs brushing your beard. Most believe that either works, but for hair growth, boar bristle brushes have been proven stronger than combs.
However, there are different purposes for combs and beards, which is why you often see the best beard brush and comb kits. Combs help you style your beard and can even improve shine. Using a wooden beard comb every day offers other benefits, such as more versatile, softer hair.
See our new guide – Beard Brush vs Comb, where they go head-to-head!
Beard Comb Buyer’s Guide
The best way to tell if a beard comb will work for your facial hair is the material. We find that the best beard combs are made from solid wood, rather than plastic. However, there are also some fine combs made from stainless steel.
Beard Comb Construction
Beard combs are made from numerous materials with their pros and cons.
Plastic is strong, flexible, lightweight and inexpensive. Also, if made of cellulose acetate (a plant based plastic) it will be hypoallergenic and better than regular plastic. However, plastic creates problems with static, whereas wood, horn, and steel do not. Not the best material for a beard comb.
Specialty handmade combs made from animal horns, such as black ox buffalo. As strong and durable material, however, animal materials are often banned in certain territories.
The construction of a metal comb matters more than the material. While stainless steel combs work well for beards, if there are jagged edges or small teeth, it can get caught in your facial hair, causing it to pull. However, a quality stainless is great.
Top benefit of metal combs is that they don’t chip or break as easily.
Wooden beard combs are simply superior because of their integrity, anti-static properties, durability, and even enhancement of keratin proteins. In comparison to a plastic comb, wooden combs are just superior and made to style your beard to perfection.
Materials also matter for adding shine and straightening hair, so it’s easier to style. Typically, wooden combs are polished and smooth, and if you purchase a handmade beard comb, you get the best quality. These combs have smooth, defined teeth that help you comb through hair without snagging or causing uneven patches.
Top benefit of strong wooden combs like pearwood and sandalwood is that they’re extremely durable.
Some of the best wooden combs include these types of woods:
You can comb beard hair and direct it to grow a certain way using a wooden comb. Some even claim that beard combing makes facial hair grow faster.
Beard Comb Construction
Construction of a beard comb matters, and all combs are not created equal.
Teeth Size matters
Wider teeth are best for thick, long beard hair that often gets tangled and unruly. Most combs are double-sided, offering wide teeth and narrow teeth. Narrower teeth are smaller and typically best suited for mustache grooming or combing through finer, thin beard hair.
Hand Cut vs Stamp Pressed
You definitely want a handcrafted product that’s high quality and durable. Many stamp cut or stamp pressed (machine-made) beard combs are made from plastic, cellulose acetate and metal. While the metal will be durable, the synthetic combs won’t last and may have imperfections that snag on your beard hair.
8 Best Beard Combs
We’ve reviewed the top beard combs based on their construction, teeth size, durability, and overall value. Here’s what we found.
1. Viking Revolution Wooden Beard Comb
Viking Revolution wooden combs are some of best on the market and a trusted brand. The biggest reason is the construction material of the comb. With an all-natural pearwood body and teeth, the result is a smooth design that doesn’t pull or snag on your hair.
- Find Out What You’re Missing – Find out for yourself, why others are saying this is the best comb they’ve ever come across! This dual sided comb gives the best grooming experience with both its fine and coarse teeth. No static or pulls and great for taking out knots
- Make Her Fall In Love All Over Again – Look and feel your best with a well-groomed beard. She’ll be sure to notice who the king of the jungle is. Works great for any type of beard, long, short, thick or thin.
- Command Attention When You Walk Into The Room – Look and feel like a million bucks! A well-groomed beard will give you the confidence to conquer the world. Comes with a case that makes it easy to carry around without the risk of damaging.
- If You Care About Your Beard - Why settle for anything but the best. Our Pear Wood Beard Comb is perfect for applying oils and balms. It’s necessary for the health of your beard to stimulate your hair folicles.
- The Viking Promise: If for any reason, you’re not completely satisfied, simply contact us and we’ll take care of it.
The comb easily fits in your hand and has two types of teeth, wide and narrow. This helps you comb your beard hair whether you have thick strands that need to be untangled or fine hair. With just a few quick strokes, you can straighten and style your beard hair.
Where to BuyCheck Lowest Price $5.88
2. Bossman Sandalwood Beard Comb
Bossman has been reinventing the beard comb for some time. While at first they made only metal combs, they’ve recently added an all-natural sandalwood beard comb to their lineup as well.
Their double-sided combs are made from 100% natural red sandalwood and allows you to groom any type of beard hair, whether it’s long, thick, short, or fine.
- 100 Percent Green Sandalwood Comb: Strength and style are vital to maintaining the Boss mentality. Our beard comb for men is made from 100 percent green sandalwood. Known for its pleasant scent, fine grain, and durability, you can trust that our moustache wood comb will withstand daily use
- No Snag Design: The sandalwood's natural oils and fine grain smooth finish mean you get a wood beard comb that powers through tangles without snagging. Start with the wide tooth side to remove large tangles and follow up with the fine tooth side for a boss like, smooth finish
- Wooden Comb for Beards, Mustaches, and Hair: Hair coarseness ranges, and a beard, mustache, and hair comb should be able to handle it all. Our sandalwood comb features two sides: a fine tooth comb for fine hair and wide tooth comb for coarse hair
- Pocket Comb for Travel: The perfect travel comb should easily fit into any shirt, jean, or jacket pocket without creating odd lumps that ruin your style. Measuring 4.25 x 3", its size is perfect for taking it with you wherever you go
- Leatherette Case with Etched Bossman Logo: We included a leatherette case to protect your beard's new on the go stylist. We designed it to protect the travel comb from the constant rigors of the day while making barber accessories easily accessible right from your pocket when your beard needs grooming
With its pocket-sized shape and design, Bossman’s beard comb is great for mustaches, too. The brush is handmade and includes smooth teeth, making it easy to comb out your hair even if it’s been awhile. It’s also sold for a rather low price and comes with a protective case.
Where to BuyCheck Lowest Price $9.95
3. Striking Viking Sandalwood Beard Comb & Carry Case
Complete with a sturdy carry case, the Striking Viking Wooden Beard Comb is made of premium Sandalwood. This beard comb comes with dual sided fine & coarse teeth for versatility. It’s pocket sized & anti-static for everyday use.
This handcrafted wooden comb works well for thick, thin, soft, and coarse tangled beard hair.
- For a True Gentleman's Beard - Since 2015, Striking Viking has been a leader in selling top quality beard combs for men all over the world. It's time to elevate your grooming game to the master level with this Striking Viking Beard Comb.
- Premium Wood Comb for Men - Handcrafted from 100% Sandlewood, this wooden combs for men. It's tough and long lasting and will stand up to daily use, travel, and the thickest of tangled mats.
- Great for Beards, Mustache, and Head Hair - The perfect wooden comb for detangling and styling all hair types! Built with dual action fine and coarse teeth; for even, lustrous and attractive looking hair.
- Perfect Gift for Men - This wood beard comb includes a durable brown case and a gift box which makes the ideal gift for your boyfriend, partner, son or to show your dad or husband how much he means during the holidays. Gift this experience to the man in your life, and watch him light up with appreciation.
- Try It Risk Free - Try our collection of beard care products today, all designed to help your beard look and feel great
The heavy-duty wooden comb helps with directing hair where you want it to grow. Though not real leather, the leatherette travel pouch is handy.
With hundreds of great ratings, Striking Viking offers a nearly five-star product that customers love. For just under $10, it’s the perfect gift for the beardsman in your life.
Where to BuyCheck Lowest Price $9.88
4. Hunter Jack Beard Comb Kit for Men
Hunter Jack is another men’s gear brand that makes all kinds of beard grooming products. However, their Hunter Jack Beard Comb for Men is a top-notch tool you should have in your grooming kit.
For one, the comb is made from 100% natural sandalwood, and it comes with an amazing leather pouch, which works for travel as well.
- 🐻 Fine & Wide Tooth Design - Style your beard without pulling or snagging. You can use the fine-toothed side to detangle and groom your beard, while the wider teeth are perfect for shaping and styling.
- 🪵 100% Natural Material - The high-quality sandalwood is natural and eco-friendly. The sandalwood scent provides a refreshing and calming aroma, making your grooming experience even more enjoyable.
- 💫 Antistatic Effect - Say goodbye to frizzy, unmanageable beard hair with our wooden beard comb for men. Made with premium, antistatic sandalwood it keeps your beard looking smooth and well-defined.
- 📱 Compact & Portable - Small and lightweight pocket comb, great for on-the-go grooming and travel. Unlike other pocket combs for men, its sleek, compact design fits perfectly in any pocket or travel bag.
- 💪 Durable & Long-Lasting - Our wood beard comb for men is made of premium quality sandalwood material built to last and withstand daily use. You can enjoy our beard comb kit for years to come.
The smoothness of the wood and the width of the teeth make this comb superior for beard grooming without inflicting any damage to your hair follicles. This beard comb also helps with distributing beard oil to your entire beard and smoothing out any tangles.
It also comes with a lifetime warranty. In addition, there are barely any negative complaints from Hunter Jack customers about long-term use. You should be able to keep this comb for many years.
Where to BuyCheck Lowest Price $15.99
5. Beardilizer Beard Comb Black Ox Buffalo Horn
There are a variety of beard combs on the market made from metal, wood, and plastic, but there’s another option. We reviewed the Beardilizer beard comb made from 100% black ox buffalo horn.
It’s an easy-to-use beard comb that allows you to comb through your hair easily, and it’s quite stylish.
- Easy-to-use tool for rapid styling of one’s beard at any time - Regular use guarantees a well-kept and smooth beard
- Preserves keratin proteins and enhances the quality of the beard - Inhibits static build-up
- Hand-made with quality materials - 36 teeth - 4.5″x2″ - 100% natural black ox buffalo horn - Natural sandalwood handle
- Shape and design adapts to all types of beards and mustaches
- Transports easily with convenient carrying pouch
Horn combs are best known for their ability to remove static and smooth out your beard so that your beard hair is shiny and smooth. However, it only comes with slightly narrow teeth. This could be difficult to use for men with longer, thick beards.
Where to BuyCheck Lowest Price $12.99
6. Airisland Dual Action Stainless Steel Beard Comb
Stylish and sleek in design, the Airisland Dual Action Stainless Steel Beard Comb has both fine and medium teeth width. Pocket-sized and easy to hold, this beard comb will stand the test of time.
It works with almost all beard hair, and it’s anti-static. It helps you tame down frizzy beard hair and straighten out your facial hair.
- FITS IN ANY WALLET-Credit card size comb, always in there when you needed.
- BUILT TO LAST-Unbreakable! Build by high quality stainless steel material, survival in any condition last longer than any plastic and wood combs.
- ANTI-STATIC-Will not leave your beard looking frizzy and unkempt, but will leave you with the clean, manly beard you are going for.
- GENTLER FOR YOUR SKIN-Fine toothed comb, gentler for your skin, hair, beard.
- GREAT GIFT-Send someone a comb that can be carried anywhere, used anytime and last as a rock. He or she would think about you when using the comb.
However, there’s one area that this beard isn’t well suited for. Wood and horn beard combs help with beard oil or beard balms, absorbing and spreading to each hair you comb.
However, the stainless steel beard combs won’t work for that. On the plus side, it’s indestructible, and best made for travel.
Where to BuyCheck Lowest Price $11.99
7. Kent Men’s Handmade Comb
We’d be remiss if we didn’t mention one of the most popular beard comb sets on the market. The Kent Men’s handmade comb offers a great value to beard growers.
However, it’s made from cellulose acetate, which is a plant-based plastic. While it’s not the same as a true plastic comb and has some advantages, it may not stand the test of time.
- Pocket Comb: 4.5 Inch Small Tortoise Shell finish. Double tooth thick and fine, a must to keep in your bathroom, car, bag and for travel, fine tooth for straightener and finishing and coarse wide teeth for detangling thick, curly and wavy hair. Professional barber haircut comb for styling and teasing for all hair types, short, long, wet or dry. Fine toothed and detangler comb for hair, beard and moustache
- Effortless glide: This saw cut, fine toothed comb and wide detangler comb is hand polished and buffed to create soft rounded teeth that will stimulate your scalp or skin. Microscopically smooth teeth stimulate the natural oils inside the hair cuticles as your hair is combed, flexible, durable and waterproof
- Handmade Kent comb: Handmade from a large sheets of cellulose acetate rather than being molded. This material is tactile, flexible and strong, a non-petroleum based derived from plants that has been found to create less static in hair, and is saw-cut to ensure a smooth surface that will not pull or snag hair follicles
- Daily hair care: Nice durable Large dresser sized comb for a daily hair care without scratching the scalp. Helps stimulate hair follicles, Improve blood circulation and reduce hair loss. Great shower comb for women and men to detangle curly hair when shampoo or applying conditioner
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: Kent is the world's oldest brush manufacturer since 1777. Proudly displaying the Royal Warrant of the Queen. We guarantee you’ll love our product!. We offer a 100% money back guarantee to all our customers. No questions asked. If you are not thrilled with your purchase, please contact us!!, we will give you an exchange or a refund
There are multiple sizes available, and each comb is under $10 each or you can buy them in a set. They come with wide and narrow teeth and a smaller comb for mustache grooming.
While we’re partial to wooden combs, this is perhaps the best non-wooden handcrafted comb.
Where to BuyCheck Lowest Price $9.95
8. Beard Power Wooden Beard Comb & Case
Made from natural wood, the Beard Power wide-tooth comb is perfect for thick, unruly beards. It also has a set of fine teeth to distribute beard oil and moisturizer with this pocket-sized comb perfectly.
In fact, you also get a pocket case protector made of leather. The leather is soft and has a cool skull imprint on the front side.
- 100% natural wooden comb. More delicate and soft leather with double crossed suture make the case more beautiful and durable.
- Technology: Waxing process instead of spraying paint, no pungent smell. More natural primitive impulses make you more sexy. Good beard comb for men.
- Function: The dual sided beard comb for men gives the best grooming experience with both its fine and coarse teeth, No static or pulls and great for taking out knots.
- Package: Wooden beard comb x 1 & leather case x 1. Size: 4.33 x 2.17 inches, a litter bigger than a credit card.
- Guaranteed: If you don't like your wooden comb, or whatever, we'll instantly refund your money and you can keep the beard comb , no questions asked. It's our promise and we don't lie. We pay more attention to quality and price than other combs. What we do is make your choice easier.
Beard Club also has a folding edition of the traditional beard comb that’s particularly nice for travel kits or just to have for the style.
The unique part is you can sign up for The Beard Club if you want monthly products sent to your door or you can purchase individually and separately from the subscription.
Where to BuyCheck Lowest Price Price not available
Beard Comb FAQs
How Can I Train My Beard To Grow Down?
From everything we know and have seen, combing your beard can train your hair to grow a certain way. However, it’s unclear whether this occurs after hair grows longer than a couple centimeters or if you can start combing stubble over patches to improve growth.
The truth is, if you comb your beard down every day, your hair will eventually move in that direction as well. This can help you cover up holes and patches in your beard to some extent.
How Do I Get My Beard To Lay Flat?
Do you have a frizzy, unruly beard? It’s difficult to manage these types of beards without a wooden comb. One of the primary reasons men use a hand cut wooden comb is because there’s no static or pulling, which can cause frizzy, broken and bad facial hair.
Using a wooden comb daily, you can tame beard hair to lay flat on your cheeks and jaw. You may also want to invest in a natural beard oil or beard balm to heal your hair and make it easier to style.
What Kind Of Comb Is Best For Beards?
Cheap combs do little for your beard hair and won’t make it straighten, lengthen, or thicken. The best beard combs are made from hand cut wood and stainless steel.
Wrapping Up: The Best Beard Comb
We think that most of these beard combs will get the job done, but which one will remove static frizz, smooth out your hair, and untangle your hair without snags?
We believe the Viking Revolution pearwood beard comb is the best on the market. Both in price and design, this beard comb does a great job of combing through thick and thin hair, resulting in a stylishly neat and beautiful beard.