Many men have embarked on a quest to find the best shaving cream. It’s difficult to find a product that A) provides a super slick surface for shaving, and B) doesn’t affect your skin.
If you frequently get acne around your beard or razor burn after you shave, you need a high-quality shaving cream that moisturizes your skin and works with your chemistry.
The top shaving creams are typically latherless and made from natural ingredients like jojoba oil or peppermint oil. Shaving creams also come in shaving gel cans or tubes, foams, or cream tubs.
Before you purchase any new product that touches your face, you need to make sure it will work with your skin type and shaving routine. We’ve also tested the highest-rated shaving creams on the market and found the ones that are best for you, no matter what your skin type is.
Shaving Cream Buyer’s Guide
We’ve been reviewing a ton of beard care products lately because men don’t have all the facts when it comes to beard care and shaving routines. The right shaving cream should eliminate razor burn and moisturize your skin so that your blades easily glide over the contours of your face, providing an ultra-smooth shave.
However, if your shaving cream leaves your skin feeling dry or irritated, there could be unwanted ingredients in your product, such as alcohol or petrol-based chemicals that cause problems for sensitive skin.
Here’s what we look for in our own shaving cream:
Types of Shaving Creams
Quality shaving creams won’t have any toxins or dangerous chemicals. You should look for paraben-free, certified non-toxic products. It’s not uncommon to find essential oils in moisturizers and shave creams alike (just ask Chris Hemsworth, who steals his wife’s moisturizing cream with essential oils).
We like to look for moisturizing face shaving creams that contain lemongrass, aloe, and jojoba oil.
A shaving cream that typically comes in a tub or tube and includes natural oils in their formulas, such as jojoba seed oil and peppermint oil. These are probably the best for all skin types, but they can be a bit expensive.
These gel formulas lather up in your palm and typically include some type of alcohol in the formula. Note that isopropyl, methyl alcohol, and other simple alcohols will dry out your skin.
However, if you have naturally oily skin, then not all of these shaving gels are bad. Look for labels with “no drying alcohol” when finding a gel shaving cream.
It’s probably the most popular type of shaving cream, and it’s been around forever. Typically sold in canned form, these products typically have ingredients like propane and isobutane.
While these lead to a rich, creamy lather, these can dry out your skin depending on the brand and formula. It’s best to check reviews and know if this works with your skin type.
Traditional Shaving Cream
If you use a straight razor or safety razor, then you’ll likely look for a traditional tub of shaving cream. These are pretty reliable for shaving, but some require a shave brush and mug or scuttle tool.
If you need a Shaving Cream Alternative, we list our Top 7 that really work.
What Shaving Cream Works Best with My Razor?
We prefer shave creams to shave oils for men’s grooming, but coconut oil is one ingredient that’s necessary in moisturizing shave cream products.
Besides skin type, you may also want to pick a shaving cream based on the type of shaving device that you use. Here’s a quick guide:
Shaving soap and traditional shave creams work best with straight razors. Your straight razor may even come with its own brand of shaving soap if you purchase a kit.
Double Edge Safety Razor
The top safety razors typically recommend traditional shaving cream, but shaving soap also works. However, if you’re using quality double-edge blades, then definitely use a shaving cream or gel.
Cartridge and Disposable Razors
If you love using traditional cartridge razor or disposable razor, then latherless shaving cream is the best option for all skin types. Shaving gel and shaving foams can also work with these razors.
For electric razors, there truly is no other option than a latherless shaving cream. It offers the smoothest shave without hurting your skin or causing razor burn. Thinner shaving creams also won’t clog up your razor.
Avoid Harsh Shaving Cream Ingredients
Don’t purchase products with these chemicals in the formula:
- Sulfates: sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, and ammonium lauryl sulfate
- Emulsifiers: Triethanolamine (TEA), diethanolamine (DEA), and monoethanolamine (MEA)
- Phthalates: Di-butyl-phthalate (DBP), di-ethylphthalate (DEP), dimethylphthalate (DMP), benzylbutylphthalate (BZBP)
Best Shaving Creams (Top Reviews)
We saved the best for last. Scroll to the bottom to see our top pick for shaving creams.
1. The Art of Shaving Shaving Cream
The best shaving creams soften your skin and make it easier for your razor to glide over your chin, jawline, and cheeks. If you prefer a lathering shaving cream, Art of Shaving shave cream is one of the best and highly recommended for its consistency. The sandalwood scent is particularly light but pleasant.
- The unscented preshave oil is the first step of the perfect shave
- Shave Oil helps protect against irritation and razor burn by promoting razor glide.
- Before shaving, rub a small amount of oil on your hands and massage into beard
- Sandalwood essential oil - Normal to dry skin
- Softens and lifts the beard for a close and comfortable shave
You’ll love how Art of Shaving’s cream glides over your skin and protects it from razor burn, even when working with a straight razor or safety razor. It’s definitely a luxurious feel that leaves your skin feel feeling fresh and smooth afterward. We also recommended Art of Shaving Aftershave to go with this product.
Where to Buy
2. Cremo Barber Grade Original Shave Cream
If you’re a quick shave lover in the morning, then you want a super creamy cream that fights nicks and cuts. The Cremo Barber Grade Original Shave Cream offers exceptional quality for a lot of products.
You get 6 oz of a very rich, slick formula shaving cream that protects your skin completely, leaving it very soft and smooth after shaving.
- Impossibly slick formula fights nicks, irritation and razor burn
- Gives you a close, comfortable shave
- Original formula with a subtle citrus scent
- 90-day supply, which lasts longer than average shave cream/gel
- Rich and concentrated cream made with high quality ingredients including Macadamia Seed Oil, Aloe, Calendula Extract, Lemon Extract, Papaya Extract, and Olive Leaf Extract. Paraben Free. Not tested on animals
For those who want a premium lathering shaving cream, Cremo is the shaving cream of choice for barbers, so it will definitely work for your daily shaving routine if you like manual razors.
We also think that the natural ingredients in this formula aloe and macadamia seed oil make this shaving cream better than the rest.
Where to Buy
3. Nivea Men Sensitive Skin Gel
Sensitive skin isn’t fun. You spend years trying to figure out the right products that work with your special brand of irritation, acne, razor burn and bumps. Thankfully, the Nivea Men Sensitive Skin Gel includes chamomile and witch hazel extracts, which soothes your skin.
- Soothes Sensitive Skin: NIVEA shave gel for men soothes sensitive skin and protect against shaving irritation
- Fights Shaving Irritation: This beard shaving gel for men fights irritation from shaving, burning, micro cuts, dryness, tightness and stubble itch
- Improves Razor Glide: A men's shave gel that improves razor glide and softens the stubble for a comfortable, close shave
- Vitamin E and Chamomile Enriched: NIVEA shaving gel enriched with Vitamin E, natural Chamomile extract and Witch Hazel extract to care for your skin while you shave
- Includes three (3) 7 ounce cans of NIVEA MEN Sensitive Shave Gel
If you want to improve the way your razor glides over your skin, then you can soften your stubble with the Nivea Men’s Sensitive Skin cream. Their 3-pack is the best value we’ve seen for 7 ounces.
Where to Buy
4. Gillette Fusion ProGlide Sensitive 2-in-1 Shave Gel
Shave gels should be cheap and chemical-free. That’s the only requirement, and Gillette Fusion ProGlide Sensitive 2-in-1 meets those two requirements excellently. The gel formula is easy to lather up and leaves your skin feeling clean.
- 2-in-1 Shave Gel + Skin Care leaves skin feeling smooth, cool and refreshed
- Comfortable skin before, during and after the shave
- No-rust plastic package
- Clean dispense for less waste
- Gel gauge lets you see when the product is running out
The 2-in-1 formula delivers shaving gel and aftershave in one low-cost package. Unless you want a tonic type of aftershave, then using this shave gel will actually cut your costs by combining with aftershave. That’s why Gillette makes our list of top face shave creams.
Where to Buy
5. Harry’s Shave Gel with Aloe
We can’t sing the praises of aloe enough. It’s one of the very best ingredients for protecting and healing skin. Harry’s Shave Gel with Aloe is the perfect representation of how to use aloe in a shave cream.
If you like gel creams, this aloe and cucumber formula will soothe your skin while also leaving a pleasant, refreshing scent.
- SMOOTH SHAVING - Harry's Shave Gel lathers into a rich shaving foam that helps your razor glide effortlessly over your skin, ensuring a close and comfortable shave.
- BETTER FOR YOUR SKIN - Unlike many other shaving creams for men, our Shaving Gel has natural ingredients, including aloe and cucumber, that hydrate and refresh your skin. The rich lather of our Shaving Gel for Men protects your face and keeps you in control of your shave.
- FACTORY-DIRECT PRICING - Harry's bought a factory in Germany to ensure the quality of our shaving products and to pass the savings on to our customers who deserve a great shave at a fair price.
- WE'RE A BRAND YOU CAN TRUST - Publications such as GQ, Esquire and Men's Health stand behind the quality of Harry's, believing we offer an impressive shave at a low price.
- QUALITY GUARANTEED - We want you to love every product we make. If you're not happy with what you ordered, send us a message and we'll take care of you.
Harry’s Gel has been recommended by GQ for years, and we can see why! However, it is a premium shave cream with a higher price point. It’s worth the price in a 3-pack for the quality shave and protection against razor bumps. See our Harry’s Razors Shave Club Review.
Where to Buy
6. Jack Black Supreme Cream
The Jack Black Supreme Cream Shave Lather is a high-quality, premium shaving cream that promises a “triple cushion” of comfort when you shave. The ingredients actually do keep your skin completely lubricated and feeling smooth as you shave. We loved the results.
- Triple Cushion Technology an advanced blend of Macadamia Nut Oil, Glycerin and Soy that allows super close razor glide and a hydrating cushion of protection against razor burn, nicks and cuts.
- Macadamia Nut Oil and Jojoba Oil penetrate tough whiskers and hydrate the skin.
- Soybean Oil and Glycerin soften and protect skin.
- Certified Organic Edelweiss and Plant ago Leaf Extracts act as antioxidants and enhance collagen synthesis.
Jack Black shaving products aren’t the cheapest, but that’s because they use some incredibly decadent ingredients like organic edelweiss extract, jojoba oil, and macadamia nut oil. You’ll love the way this cream hydrates your skin.
Where to Buy
7. Proraso Shaving Cream
Professionals have been using the Proraso shave brand for decades. We absolutely love the Proraso Shaving Cream because it has a masculine scent with toning ingredients for a fresh, smooth shave.
- Soften skin for a close shave without irritation
- This shaving cream is ideal for a classic moisturizing shave
- Helps comfort skin
- For every kind of beard and normal skin
- Eucalyptus oil helps in toning, purifying effect
This is a classic vegetable, stearin-based barber shaving cream that should be applied with a brush for a decadent grooming routine.
Where to Buy
8. Pacific Shaving Company Natural Shave Cream
Pacific Shaving Company Natural Shave Cream uses the tagline “Enjoy Shaving Again” and we couldn’t agree more. From the small amount needed to cover the jawline to the plant-derived formula, it’s just a nice, vegan shaving cream that keeps your skin feeling fresh and smooth.
- Enjoy Shaving Again - Our mens grooming products are crafted with safe, natural, plant-derived ingredients to give you the smoothest shave possible without risking razor burn. Use this shaving cream anywhere you shave and pair with your skin care for men regimen.
- TSA Friendly - All our products are available in small but mighty 3.4 ounce sizes which are carry-on compliant and good for up to 100 shaves. While this is mostly a shaving cream for men, it's also a shaving cream women can easily pack for last minute trips. No more having to search for a sensitive skin shaving cream when traveling, we got you covered.
- Smoother Shave - Save your skin from redness, irritation, and bumps with a paraben-free natural shaving cream for men with no synthetic fragrances. This is a shaving cream sensitive skin will love.
- Natural Ingredients - Our vegan formula includes certified organic ingredients to keep even the most sensitive skin healthy, soothed, and hydrated.
- Cruelty-Free - Unlike so many mens shaving cream products and even shaving cream for women, Pacific Shaving Company’s products are never, ever tested on animals.
We really like that Pacific Shaving Company knows what sells. They guarantee each bottle is good for “100 Shaves” and contains no synthetic fragrances, which is why it’s perfect for sensitive skin prone to breakouts.
Where to Buy
9. Neutrogena Men’s Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin
With the Neutrogena Men’s Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin, you get protection from razor burn with a “clinically proven formula” guarantee. Neutrogena’s whole brand is about protecting your skin, so it makes sense that their formula uses a dye-free, scent-free formula that protects your pores from clogging.
- 5.1-fluid ounce bottle of Neutrogena Men's Shave Cream For Sensitive Skin. Featuring Pro-Soothe Technology to help protect your skin against regular razor irritation
- Formulated for sensitive skin, this shaving cream is clinically proven by dermatologists to help provide a close and comfortable shave and to help prevent razor bumps and ingrown hairs
- Shaving cream helps soothe and protect sensitive skin from razor irritation on contact and is clinically shown to improve the overall healthy look of your skin
- Men's shave cream rinses clean and features a dye-free, and non-comedogenic formula, meaning it won't clog pores
- For best use, massage a quarter size amount of Neutrogena sensitive skin shave cream on to wet skin and neck before shaving
We love the way this shaving cream lathers up so lightly on your skin while still offering a smooth gliding layer for your razor. There was no irritation, and you didn’t need very much to cover the whole shaving area.
Where to Buy
10. Gillette Foamy Shaving Cream
For some, the ritual is everything, and that includes a fast foaming shave cream. You don’t need to spend big bucks on these foam shaving creams, which is why the Gillette Foamy Shaving Cream (in the green bottle) offers the best value and quality.
- Simple. Honest. Classic.
- Shaving foam lightly fragranced for sensitive skin
- Instant lather spreads easily and rinses clean
- Comfort Glide formula reduces friction
- Use Gillette Foamy Sensitive Skin Shaving Foam with any Gillette razor
There’s really not much to screw up here: it’s a simple classic that instantly lathers and softens your skin for a smooth shave. However, the selling point here is this shaving cream is the best quality you’ll get for under $2, and it works with sensitive skin.
Where to Buy
11. Vikings Non-Lather
For a professional foaming shave from the Swedish brand, try Vikings Non-Lather Foam Shaving Cream with sandalwood and western red cedar. It’s absolutely amazing for skin protection, and you’ll love the woody cedar scent.
- A unique FOAMING cream. DO NOT buy if you need another "Santa Claus" cream like most others
- NOTE: 5.3oz of cream comes in an oversized 7oz tub, as this cream will expand and contract upon temperature changes. Therefore you will see an empty air pocket in the tub
- Foam up with a brush & water in a bowl to create an evaporating foam. Whipped foam will quickly EVAPORATE and form a super slick layer on your skin for the ultimate shaving experience
- Traditional Swedish scent with a modern twist: top grade Sandalwood & Western Red Cedar
- Manly and woody cream for luxury shaving experience. Great and meaningful for all occasions: Christmas, Father's Day etc
This is a top-grade shaving cream that comes with the best ingredients, and we love how slick it feels with a safety razor. You’ll get a super close shave with this non-lathering Vikings Blade cream.
Where to Buy
12. Burt’s Bees Natural Shave Cream
Everyone likes the Burt’s Bee brand because of its all-natural ingredients. The Burt’s Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Shave Cream is 6 ounces of pure heaven on your skin. It’s comforting, soothing, and lightly scented. Best of all, the formula is made to prevent breakouts and ingrown hairs.
- MENS SHAVING CREAM: Get a close, clean and comfortable shave with this soothing, natural Burt’s Bees Shave Cream for men
- FACIAL SHAVING CREAM: Calm and hydrate skin with natural ingredients including calendula, chamomile and linden extracts that sooth and comfort skin
- NATURAL SHAVING CREAM: This 99% natural shaving cream provides nice cushion and a pleasurable shaving experience from start to finish
- MENS SKIN CARE: This cream formula works for all skin types, including sensitive skin, for the closest, smoothest shave
- BURT’S BEES MEN: Use this soothing shaving cream as part of Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men regimen
Burt’s Bees makes an incredible shave cream for those who are prone to breakouts and razor burn. We love the natural shaving cream formula with chamomile and linden extracts.
Where to Buy
13. Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar Shave Cream bowl
Many barbers will also have the Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar Shave Cream Bowl on their counters. It’s a premium shave cream that has a spicy, captivating scent. The formula uses a glycerin-based formula that dates back to 1805, making it the perfect choice for a “treat-yourself” grooming product.
- SHAVING CREAM BOWL: One of our glycerin-based shaving creams that are an excellent way to achieve an incredibly close, yet comfortable shave. Although not required, we recommend using one of our badger haired shaving brushes for the optimal shaving experience.
- TRAFALGAR: Spicy, light, and captivating with top notes of Cedar and Sandalwood complemented by subtle hints of Jasmine and Spice.
- HISTORY: Truefitt is mentioned throughout modern English literature as a bastion of style and the highest quality service - a tradition we are proud to continue today.
- GROOMED TO PERFECTION: Our products are formulated with an exquisite blend of rare, natural and sophisticated essences. Our offering includes a full line of shaving, fragrance, hair and bath products to provide a daily grooming solution for the modern man.
- TRUEFITT & HILL: Recognised as the finest traditional gentlemen's barber and perfumer in London, has provided discerning gentlemen with only the finest in grooming products and services.
Latherless and cushioning, Truefitt & Hill creates a top-notch shave cream that you would expect from a barbershop. It’s best when used with a barber’s shave brush.
Where to Buy
14. Rocky Mountain Shaving Cream for Men – Sandalwood
Do we have a preference for sandalwood scents? It’s actually the light, airy, woody scent that makes it so perfect. We love the Rocky Mountain Barber Company shaving cream for its quality and high-quality scent. You won’t need cologne if you use this shave cream, and it’s easy to apply with or without a shaving brush.
- Thick Lather – Build a thick lather with or without a shaving brush
- Water Based – Our water based shaving cream makes it easy to build a great lather
- Real Sandalwood Essential Oil – Contains real sandalwood essential oil
- Made in Small Batches - Means a fresher shaving cream with fresher ingredients.
- 5 oz Tin – Convenient oversized 5oz tub for a shaving cream that lasts
Rocky Mountain makes a ton of high-quality men’s care products. We had to include their shaving cream on our list for its sandalwood oil shaving cream that works for sensitive and normal skin.
Where to Buy
15. Van Der Hagen Shave Butter: Our Top Pick for Men’s Shaving Cream
We saved the best for last. We love the Van Der Hagen Shave Butter because of its silky smooth finish. The formula is enriched with macadamia oil, shea butter, mango and cocoa butter. The scent is incredible, and you’ll get the ultimate shave with this no-foam, no-mess, latherless cream.
- ENSURES A SILKY SMOOTH SHAVE - Formulated with enriched Macadamia Oil, Shea, Mango and Cocoa Butters, our Shave Butter has been carefully designed to provide a more comfortable experience and help you avoid pesky nicks, cuts and razor burn.
- NO FOAM, NO MESS - Unlike traditional creams and gels, our Shave Butter doesn’t foam up and obscure the area you’re about to take the razor too. Instead, the butter is non-greasy and gives you a smooth, luxurious feel both before and, if you’d like, after the shave.
- PERFECT FOR ALL SKIN AND HAIR TYPES - Whether you’ve got dry or sensitive skin, coarse or fine hair, this Butter will give you as smooth and irritation-free a shave as the next one. It’s even great for women who like having their skin bump and blemish free after shaving as well.
- LUXURY AT EVERYDAY PRICES – Save your precious dollar for other luxuries in life. We strive to provide the best price possible to give you that smooth, luxurious feel without having to break the bank like with other luxury skin care products.
- OUR GUARANTEE TO YOU - Give this Butter a try, and if it’s not for you, let us know anytime within 3 months and we’ll refund 100% of your purchase.
Your razor will cleanly glide over your skin with the Van Der Hagen Shave Butter. It’s perfect for all skin types and you can use it to shave your head, face, and body. That’s how versatile this shaving cream is.